Thursday, November 14, 2013

Failed student turned Olympian gets coaching job

Starting out at a college is a big deal, says Samuel Vazquez, new head track and field coach at Roosevelt University. He said usually starting out at a high school or in some cases volunteering is the typical way in coaching.

“Having the reigns of my own team is a huge accomplishment,” said Vazquez.

Vazquez qualified in the 1500 meters with a time of 3:55 for Puerto Rico in the London 2012 Olympics. Being an Olympian definitely enhanced his chances at getting Roosevelt's head-coaching job, he said.

But it wasn’t always perfect for Vazquez. He said growing up was a struggle and he always wanted a better life. He found that through athletics, he said.

Vazquez said he received a Division I scholarship to the University of Arkansas where he was an All-American and national champion. His lack of focus caused him to fail his first year. It took some time for him to realize school was important, Vazquez said. 

“Went there just for athletics, didn’t really care about academics and I’ve paid the price,” he said.

Eventually, Vazquez earned his business degree at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, he said.

He shares his experiences and tells students like him that getting back in school can open up opportunities.

“You got to get back to school. That’s the most important thing,” Vazquez said.
Now that he’s in a leadership role, he said, he can mold kids like him. He says all they need is guidance.

“Not only am I a coach, I’m also a teacher. I’m a mentor, I’m a big brother … and I’m here to make sure they do good in school,” Vasquez said.

When it comes to recruiting, Vazquez said he’s looking for students like himself and feels kids who come from a harder background are a little tougher mentally.

“I’m kind of looking for athletes quite similar to myself,” he said.

“Somebody who is a fighter, somebody a go-getter, ... somebody that’s going to be in a race and give everything they have to achieve their goal.”

Vazquez is looking forward to making history in track and field during his first season at Roosevelt. He's also representing his country in Rio 2016 Olympics, he said.

“Puerto Rico knows I’m still training and I’m a coach here. … I think they’re really proud of me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment